Spring break has finally arrived, actually, it's more than 1/2 over for me already, and it has been a much needed time of rest and relaxation! I didn't have anything huge or super exciting planned, and at first I was a little bit sad about that, but it has turned out to be the perfect break! I'll tell you about the highlights of my break so far.
*Cabarete Beach. I went with a friend to the beach for two days. We did absolutely nothing. We sat on the beach (getting terribly sunburned and not realizing it), watched the kite surfers and wind surfers, listened to the waves, read our books, and slept. Ahhh...relaxation. :)
*Moca. This is a small town outside Santiago that I had never been to. Yesterday I went with Brian and Amy, two dear friends of mine. They have been there a couple times before and invited me to go with them on this excursion. We took a guagua up to Moca. A guagua is a type of public transportation here. They are 15 passenger vans that usually end up holding anywhere from 22-27 people. You can imagine how cramped it gets with that many people. You end up smashed against people you don't even know. It's interesting. I've taken guaguas before, so this wasn't a new experience, but one I enjoyed having again. I like getting tastes of things that are truly Dominican that I don't experience every day. We were going to Moca to go to a volleyball factory that is owned by a parent of some kids at school that Brian is friends with. He showed us all around the factory, and it is amazing! I would never guess that volleyballs were made the way that they're made! So fun to see the process from beginning to end! Then we went to a cute little candle shop and a shop owned by people from Ecuador and a little pizza place. Then we took another guagua back to Santiago. Fun day!
*Shish kebobs, yummy bread, strawberry shortcake, games, and fun. Last night, after our fun day in Moca, Brian and Amy invited me over for dinner. Such a fun time relaxing, eating good food, and just being with friends.
*Reading. I LOVE to read, but I don't allow myself to do it much during school because I get too involved in the book and that's all I want to do and it takes up too much of my time. So on breaks from school, I try to read as much as I possibly can. I have already read two books during break and I'm into a third. One book I read was Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Many people had recommended it to me, saying it was really good. I finally read it and I am now one of the people who will recommend this book to people. It's a very good book, well worth spending the time it takes to read its 464 pages! It is a retelling of the book of Hosea from the Bible. It is set in the 1800s. Good book!!
*Sleeping until I wake up. I am thoroughly enjoying going to bed without setting an alarm! I like waking up when my body says it's time to wake up instead of waking up to the harsh "eee eee eee eee" of my alarm clock.
*Easter Sunday at church. This obviously hasn't happened yet, but I know it will be fun. I'm going to sing with the praise team on Easter because we are having a special service and doing some things differently. I will be singing in Spanish! This is a first for me, singing in Spanish in front of people, so I'm a little nervous but also very excited to be involved in my church in this way. It will be fun.
*Easter dinner. This hasn't happened either, but again, I know it will be fun. This is my first time hosting a holiday dinner and being in charge of it. My friend Mindy and I invited a bunch of people over after church for Easter dinner. So far only 3 are going to come, but that's ok. It will be interesting being the host and the one in charge of getting everything around for this get together. I've always watched my grandma, mom, and aunts do this job, and now I'm going to do it. I'm looking forward to a wonderful time celebrating here with my "Dominican family," though I'll be thinking of my family back home all getting together as well.
That's my spring break break in a nutshell. I'm sad to see it coming to an end. We go back to school on Tuesday, April 6th. After that we only have 8 more weeks of school! I can't even believe the year is that close to being over! Wow! I'm going to try hard to treasure every moment I have left with these crazy kids that I love so much!

2 comments:
Sounds like you had a great spring break. Did you get any pictures at the volleyball factory? If so, put some on here. I would love to see it. So glad to hear you read Redeeming Love. I love that book. It's so good. Can't wait to hear how your Easter dinner went.
Sadly I did not get pictures of the volleyball factory. My friend that I was with was doing a lot of video taping and I felt a little bit like we were intruding or being "rich Americans" watching them working in the factory. So I didn't want to take pictures, if that makes sense.
Easter dinner went very well! We ended up having 9 people come...some we invited at church right before! The chicken we made turned out to be very yummy, and everyone had a wonderful time! I'm so glad we did it, it was so fun! :) Thanks for asking!
Post a Comment